What to do if you have an oil spill or leak on your property.
Contact Insurance Claim Solutions, we will assess the damage and contact your insurance company.
- if there’s a strong smell of oil in your home, ventilate the area by opening windows and doors
- keep children and pets away from any spills
- avoid getting oil on your skin and clothing
- wash your hands and don’t smoke, eat or drink when or after you are in contact with the oil
If the oil contamination is caused by a leak rather than a spill
- switch off your oil supply at the tank
- if you can do so safely try to find out where the leak is coming from
- put a bucket under dripping oil
- use an absorbent material such as earth, sand, cat litter to stop the oil spreading especially if near a drain or open water source
- Never use detergent and a hose to wash the oil away, you are only spreading the contamination and causing further damage
What damage can an oil leak do.
An oil leak or oil spill can cause a lot of damage, often much of it unseen and can even affect the structure of the house and the health of the occupants. Escaped oil can pollute soil, underground water and building structures. Fuel oil is also combustible and if not cleaned properly it can be a fire hazard.
Quick intervention to repair any leaks and carry out a professional clean up are essential both to minimise and contain the contamination and to minimise costs. Insurance Claim Solutions have extensive experience in assessing potential damage caused by an oil leak or spill. We can help you assess and manage your insurance claim and get the right contractor to perform a thorough clean-up.
Two main reasons for oil contamination.
Oil spillage, when the tank is being filled or work being done near the storage tank results in the tank being damaged. Doing the “clean-up” immediately will minimise damage both to your property and the environment. Many things can be cleaned but soaked soil and brickwork may have to be disposed of professionally.
Oil seepage and long term leaks. Caused by slow leaks in tanks or pipework and fittings. These leaks can go unseen for a long time and may only be noticed because your fuel does not last as long as it used to or a smell of oil on a sunny day. These are harder to deal with as the oil can have soaked into the surrounding area and contaminated a lot of ground. If you boiler is in or near your house the leaking oil could have soaked into brickwork and foundations of the building. This can involve extensive and expensive remedial work.
Why should you use Insurance Claim Solutions to manage your oil spill claim?
- we generally are able to negotiate a much higher insurance settlement that you could
- we know where to look for non-obvious damage
- we know what you can claim for, rather than you relying on your insurance company to tell you
- we take care of all the hassle and stress
- we make sure that you get your settlement as soon as physically possible
The insurance company’s Claim Adjusters role is to minimise the Insurance Company losses, so they tend to skip over secondary damage unless it is uncovered and pointed out to them. Insurance Claim Solutions Representatives have extensive experience in handling these types of claims, and will make sure that you are not short changed by your insurers.